Saturday, June 18, 2016

Lizards at Elephant Butte

This is just a quick post to show you some of the lizards at South Monitcello Point Campground (SoMoPo) in Elephant Butte State Park in New Mexico.   I'm not a lizard researcher, I just like to see them all, so I didn't check to see what kinds of lizards they are.

This first guy was just beautiful in the sunshine.  I've never seen one so colorful.  




This next guy was kind of exciting to see, too, because I think he's a Horned Lizard.  I've never seen one of these.  He's a little fatty and has horns.  He wasn't moving very fast, just went a little way, stopped and rested, moved again, etc.  These are the best photos I could get:


Can you see his little horns?


Here's another lizard - he was a good size guy with super long toes:


This lizard has pretty distinct markings:


And a very long tail when compared to the others:


And a final lizard - he had pretty markings, but I couldn't get his face.  Those aren't eyes on the top of his head, I think he's wearing goggles:


They are all a little different.  Most had some colors, but it wasn't obvious unless they were in the sunlight.  They had different feet, faces, tails, etc.  Interesting creatures.

Katie has always gone nuts over lizards - she gets so excited when she sees one.  She'll try to chase them with her tail wagging like mad, of course she's on a leash so she can't chase too far, poor baby.   Lately, though, she doesn't seem to see them like she used to.  I saw all these before she did.  The movement isn't registering, so I'm wondering if shes starting to lose her eyesight, or her peripheral vision.  I hope not.  She's only ten, which isn't that old for a small dog.

That's it on the lizards.  I love to photograph them.

From me and Katie, have a great Father's Day tomorrow to all you fathers.  And for everyone out there, well, we have Fathers - whether they are still with us, or with us in our hearts - and we can remember them tomorrow with love.  :)

10 comments:

  1. I'm amazed you can find such beauty in something I have seen and ignored nearly every day of my life, growing up a southern Arizona girl. Thanks for helping me stop and smell the roses... I mean, see the colorful lizards.
    Btw, my Hanna loves to chase them, too, but I'm not sure what she would do it she caught one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is so much in the world to investigate. I'm going to need another hundred years!

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some different looking lizards. I love to see the little green lizards running around my yard. Makes me feel like nature is active.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is so much beauty in the things right around you all you need to do is take notice.
    Love the lizard shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crikey .... They are sure some good looking lizards. I liked that first one best. Such pretty colours. I'd like to chase them but Mum would be a spoilt sport and stop me too. Poor Katie ... I hope she's ok!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your lizards. Scooter is our lizard chaser but we don't have any up here. Skitz has never had good eye sight and Scooter doesn't see as well anymore either. So we make sure to point things out to her. Love to Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your lizards. Scooter is our lizard chaser but we don't have any up here. Skitz has never had good eye sight and Scooter doesn't see as well anymore either. So we make sure to point things out to her. Love to Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lizards seem to be everywhere. I love looking for the critters and taking pictures of them too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many different lizards. Such different wildlife out there compare to back east. I love when you post pics, I make notes, " I want to see them myself" I've never seen a roadrunner except for your pics. I already bought a good camera and am learning how to use it so I will be able to take good pics when I hit the road. Reading all these blogs help me in so many ways. knowing that I'll need some hobbies to keep me occupied so I don't get bored or lonely. I'm a pretty solitary person anyways but I will need things to do. My dogs will keep me busy also. That's how I found your blog, I googled "RV Fulltiming with dogs"

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never seen so many different lizards. They are really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - we LOVE them!