Monday, July 14, 2014

Complete RV Care - Changing the new generator's oil

To complete the break-in period instructions (to satisfy any future warranty issues) for my new Onan Generator, I had to have the oil changed at 20 hours of use, or as soon after 20 hours as I could. I had a heck of a time finding someone to do that for me.  I had to have a shop do it, because I needed a receipt showing the generator's model number, serial number, and the number of hours showing on my meter.  I called Rocky Mountain, where I bought it and had it installed, but they wanted to do a Level 1 service, which is $149.  All I needed was an oil change.  Plus they are in Albuquerque and I'm in Las Vegas, NM - about a two-hour drive.  I did some research on-line and made some phone calls, but although lots of shops will change the oil on a car or truck, no one would touch my generator.  I'm sure there are places that could have done this for me, but I didn't find them.

Finally, after talking to Jeanne and Annie about it, Jeanne reminded me that we took a card from the pile left in the visitor's center for an RV repair company.  I called them, and YES, they would do it, they are in Santa Fe, and I was headed that way after my 14 day limit at Storrie Lake on Friday, so we made an appointment.


Here's the back of their card, listing all the things they do:


One of the things I like about this place is that they changed the oil right where I parked The Palms.  I could watch what was going on, and wasn't told to stay out of the shop area where the work was being done. 

I met Eddie who has been working on RVs for 20 years and knew what he was doing.  He was fast and efficient and I was glad Complete RV Care was available to do this for me. I brought my own oil, so if I need to add any before my annual service, I'll have the same oil on hand that's in the generator:


Here's Eddie taking out the plug so the old oil could drain:


He checked the air filter and it was clean, so I didn't have to buy a new one.







Re-installing the air filter:


After just a little time, the oil change was done and I went into the office to pay my bill and get a receipt from Patsy, which included the information I'd need if I ever had warranty issues.





My bill was $45.32, which included tax.

They also have a dog laying around in the yard.  She walked in front of The Palms while we were waiting, and laid down near my front tire.



I wanted to take Katie out for a little walk around the yard and was afraid the dog would be possessive of it's territory.  So I put Katie's leash on and held her tight to me, just in case, as we exited The Palms.  That old dog didn't even move.

She did walk really slow and I figure she was up in years. I think she must be deaf, because I kept my eye on her, and she didn't move a muscle, even when we came back and went into The Palms. Later I got a good photo of her:






She's part Chow and has a black tongue.  You can tell she's a sweet dog.

I even got a good photo of a Mockingbird - there were a bunch of birds flying around and singing.





I would highly recommend Complete RV Care.  They are located in Santa Fe, but the business is, I guess you could say, home-based.  There were a lot of RVs there waiting to be picked up that had been left earlier in the week, so they do a good business.  There's a large building where they work on RVs, but my oil change they did outside.  There's a house on the premises with the office attached to it on the end, with a separate entrance.  You reach Complete RV Care by going down a number of country residential roads, it gets a little rough and washboardy, but I just drove 5 mph, hoping I was in the right place.  The drive down these roads isn't long, and then you turn left into their business.

The people I spoke with, Patsy, Eddie and the owner's dad, were all very friendly and accommodating.  I'd sure use their services again, anytime I'm in the area and needed anything RV related. 

I'm going to add a review of Complete RV Care on RV Service Reviews, too.  This isn't a shop people will see driving by on a busy street, so I hope my review here and on RV Service Reviews will bring them a little business.  :)

Thanks, guys, you get five stars!


See you next time!



From me and Katie, have a great Monday, everyone!  :)

8 comments:

  1. Too bad there isn't more like that shop scattered around the country. There may be, but how do you find them. Maybe you should publish a book listing all the RV repair shops and then rate them and list their specialties. Thanks for the info on that shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Dizzy-Dick. There IS a place to go to find good RV service - it's the website RV Service Reviews - the link is in this post. Any good or bad reviews that people want to post there are published. I've used it in the past when I needed something done and wasn't familiar with the area. I've posted a few excellent reviews and one AWFUL SERVICE review. We need both, and I sure appreciate that site. :)

      Delete
  2. Good job. Can't you just hear your new generator saying "Ahhhhhhhh......".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job telling us about the business and about the actual work done! It's a relief to get the info on the RV Service Review website. I didn't know about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That’s great! Now you don’t have to suffer the inconvenience of going too far to get your RV’s oil changed. Eddie looks like a real expert, and he knows exactly what he’s doing. That’s no surprise, given that he’s been working with RVs for two decades. Maybe you should get his card, so you could call him right away the next time you need some RV care.

    Liza Pilon @ Prairie City RV

    ReplyDelete
  5. A generator is one of the most important parts of the RV. So it’s really advisable to let the professionals do the necessary maintenance and repairs, to make sure that it will be done properly. And I’m glad that after a few days of searching the Net and book listings, you finally found a trusted mechanic to do the oil change for your RV. And with the good work they provided, they are definitely worth coming back to. Thanks for sharing.

    Abraham Yates @ Apache Oil Company

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have shared your nice post. For emergency or unexpected repairs I would suggest you Repair RV Roof Leaks to keep with you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - we LOVE them!