Sunday, July 8, 2012

Baby Pictures

This morning I saw one of the does walk across the street and she was acting different.  I watched for a minute and suddenly out of the trees bounds a little fawn - running and jumping and prancing across the street to it's mom.  It was so cute!  The mom would move forward a little and then the fawn would prance to catch up.  It was just darling.  I grabbed my camera and was able to get only one pretty good shot of the fawn as it was crossing the street. Then there were too many trees in the way to get a clear shot.  So cute.  I hope I get to see them again.  I just talked to the camp hosts, and they said a camper in the group camping area saw the fawn being born last week, so this little critter is only a week old! :)

Fawn running across the street.

When Katie and I were walking yesterday, I heard lots of chirping and rustling in the grasses along the road.  We waited, and out popped a baby Black-headed Grosbeak.  It looked too big to be a baby, but I'm pretty sure it was.  It tried to fly when it saw us, but couldn't and hopped back into the grasses where it hid. It was making a lot of noise. We finally walked on so it wouldn't be afraid.

Can you see him hiding in there?



 
He saw us and then he went back into the brush. 

When we got back from that walk, I put out my bird feeders, the seeds and hummer feeders.  We already have a hummer that keeps coming by, but he's fast!  Not a particularly pretty guy, pretty much brown, unless maybe the sunshine will bring out more colors.  I haven't been able to get a picture yet.

This morning I heard a tussle coming from the tree where I hung the seed bird feeder.  There were a couple of Blue Jays and three Black-headed Grosbeaks on the various branches chirping away.  They finally flew away. Venita said at her feeders there's one Grosbeak that rules - if any other birds come by, he scares them away.  This is the one left in my tree when the rest flew away, but I didn't see anyone getting seeds from the feeder.


I also put up the little finch feeder, but I don't think there are any birds in the forest that will try it out.  The only place it worked was in the Distant Drums RV Resort.  They  had lots of finches and that's where I bought this feeder.  I keep trying it in other places, but so far, no takers.

Lots of rain and thunder yesterday.  So far this morning it's been cloudy and cool, perfect. The sun pops out once in a while.  I really like this weather, and I don't have to feel guilty loving the thunder and lightning as long as there's rain with it.  Just in case lightening strikes and starts a fire, hopefully the rain will put it right out.

From me and Katie, have a great Sunday, everyone!  :)

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have lots of nature to enjoy!! We have several "hummers" but I'm like you....can't get a good picture cause they are so fast!
    It sure has been hot here lately! Wish this heat wave would pass by but that may mean fall!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing the animals. I love the little fawns, the birds and just about everything else we've been lucky enough to see. Just wish we could see more. It seems we're never satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad we can put bird feeders up! When we were in Lake Isabel they told us to take our hummingbird feeder down as it was not legal. Huh? We have always put them out. Gorgeous pictures. Hope you get some hummingbird shots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the picture of the little fawn...so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a nice part of living in an RV..all the nature that is there to enjoy. Too cool to see a new fawn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the photos. Sounds like you are really in a great spot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sure have lots of neat birds and other little critters. Hope you can get more pictures of the fawn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you have a great camping spot with all the animals around. I think its getting wet enough now that we don't have to be as worried about the lightning. The sunset here was real pretty today with a rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good job on getting all those photos. You must have tons of patience to take those bird shots.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - we LOVE them!